Currently INFOCOM is involved in various research projects concerning Wireless (Radio) Transmission systems and Networks, with emphasis on the following subjects:
- Multi-antenna OFDM and UWB systems
- Information theory and coding, MAC protocols for wired/wireless systems
- Modeling and control of broadband integrated networks
- Multimedia traffic modeling
- Architectures and protocols for wireless LANs and for satellite networks
- Quality of Service guarantees and real time services support in the Internet
- Channel equalisation and coding for HF and GSM links
- CDMA receivers for UMTS
- Resource Management and MAC protocols for WLANs, for reconfigurable “ad-hoc” wireless networks and for satellite links.
The results of these studies are been the object of papers published at International Conferences and within International Journals.
The activities are supported by grants from the Public Education Ministry (MPI), the National Research Council (CNR) and European organizations and programs like the EU projects: Cobuco, Median, Secoms, Monstrain, Romantik, Surface, Winsoc, Saturn, Ucan, Pulsers, Liaison, Natacha, ePerSpace, Whyless besides to projects sponsored by the European Space Agency (ESA) like Marsis, Mars Express.
Some activities were also supported by private TLC companies like Selex Communications, Thales Italy, STMicroelectronics, Telecom Italia, Ericsson, Vodafone, Telit and others.